Profile

muck_a_luck: (Default)
muck_a_luck

Style Credit

  • Style: (No Theme) for PierLayout

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
muck_a_luck: (FrogsWonder)
Sunday, March 20th, 2016 01:07 pm
Costs to date:
$5.99 - Burda pattern Biker Style Peplum Jacket 12/2015 #108B
$8.32 - Boots

Cosplay excitement of the weekend, I found the costume item that I was most concerned I would NOT be able to find!

Behold, boots! Which I bought from the clearance rack at JC Penny for $8.32. I did the happy shoe dance, possibly for the very first time in my life.

Warlock boots!

Then, on to the hard work!

Last weekend, I realized that I had printed the pattern incorrectly, but I went ahead and cut it out. However, before I could begin assembly, I ALSO realized that I would need two of just about everything, so I needed to print the pattern again. Well. When I was printing, I thought, the heck with doing it wrong TWICE. So I printed it correctly, twice, and then cut it out again, twice.

Then, I built the paper pattern. Burda does not include seam allowances in their pattern - you add them in when you cut the fabric by drawing them yourself. So that means, you can easily mock up a Burda piece simply by taping the cut edges together, since the edges are essentially the seams.

Man, I'm glad I am doing this in paper first. Burda is NOT Simplicity. I almost just had to call my mom or skype her or something over the mysterious instruction "On each armhole band...lay bands on front and back armhole edges, at placement lines..." It took a lot of peering and squinting at the pattern and the drawing before I figured that one out. Then there's that moment, when you are assembling a Burda pattern and you suddenly realize: "Where are the sides? They never told me to assemble the sides. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE SIDES?!"

Ahem.

A few photos )
muck_a_luck: (Outer Banks)
Monday, March 14th, 2016 07:27 am
UPDATE: SORRY! SORRY! Forgot how to code simple HTML for a minute there. All the broken code is fixed!

Image heavy post behind the cut )
muck_a_luck: (Right)
Thursday, March 10th, 2016 01:30 pm
This weekend, The Brain, which you recall used to occupy itself writing porny fanfic, decided I should do a really serious Warlock cosplay. When it was still all my brain would think about Tuesday, I decided to embrace the insanity.

(The truth comes out! you think. That is what she's really doing back here in journal land. Possibly. It's nice to have something interesting to post about. Also, if I do this thing, I am doing it fandom-right. There will be pictures and detailed write-ups, both here and on Tumblr, and I think I will even branch out into video for this.)

Now, I would really like to do the Iron Banner gear. But as you can see from the below, there's some serious detail work there.

Iron Breed Vestments
These are the Iron Breed Vestments. I loved them. Now the game has left them behind. Sadness.

Iron Breed Vestments at Bungie's Armory

Aside from that, my favorite armor in the game thus far was Apex Harmonic. This link has excellent illustrations. As you can see, it was sleek and fairly understated. I have decided that is the place to start.

I have begun my research. 

I found a pattern at Burda that should be the perfect foundation to build the design off.   It should make an excellent bodice.


That is the first piece of the project - getting the vestments right.  Once I get that, I can move on to other challenges, like gauntlets and boots and replica weapons.  Also, I have to decide if I'm going to do a helmet or not.  I figure I can take it slow and maybe have the entire thing ready for Halloween.

UPDATE: Excellent! I see Iron Breed is just the Iron Banner version of Apex Harmonic! I had not realized that. So, if I can get the Apex Harmonic to work, all I would have to do to get Iron Breed is make it again, with the Iron Banner markings. Very pleased.